From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:53:17 -0500
>The largest on-line ferret mailing list?  Yes.
>The largest of ferret forums? No.
>
>The AFA for example has more members than does this mail list.  Don't think
>the other "national groups" do but wouldn't be surprised if the California
>groups also have more members.
>bill and diane killian

Come on, you understand the real point here.  I am not aware of the AFA
holding meetings with *all* its members across continents *and*
organizations each and every night.  Please, by definition, the AFA is an
organization, not a forum.  By definition, this list is a forum, not an
organization.  Be careful about getting anal retentive towards someone with
years more experience<G>.  Statement stands, enough distraction....

Now that you bring it up though, I was made aware that breeders within the
AFA association feel they have good reason to resist MF's attempts at
persuasion as reported in a personal email reminding me emphatically that
you do not speak for the AFA.  This is not a flame at all, simply a
clarification of fact according to the message.  They did say you were
entitled to your opinion about MF, and I agree wholeheartedly.  Are they
lying?

>Too bad this isn't the way "freedom of speech" is usually worked out,
>particularly on this forum, since we all start from the same basis - love
>of ferrets.
>Debbie & Jim

Debbie, Jim, I think BIG does a pretty good job of at least trying to hold
and practice this ideal.  And most of us support his efforts.  Seeing just a
little of what goes on behind the scenes, it is a precarious balancing act
at best.  Although BIG and I do not agree on every point, he has my
understanding, respect, and compassion.  No one said this was a perfect
medium, and I believe BIG would be the first to admit that.  But it's the
best we've got.  I am not aware of another ferret-list that is as evenly and
consistently moderated.  What some people seem to be unaware of is how
crystalline clear some veiled insults are, and how some innocent statements
are misconstrued, and still others appear purposely misunderstood.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi