From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:32:12 -0400
>Maybe English ferrets suffer "shelter shock" far less than do American
>ferrets.  With the high rates of adrenal problems IN US shelters compared
>to the relatively lower rates elsewhere perhaps that is a sign that ferrets
>do suffer when being moved about.  We have had at least one healthy ferret
>suddenly die overnight all because it was dropped at our shelter.  Several
>of us shelter operators are well aware of "shelter shock" ...

Don't really have a comment on the English ferrets, as I don't have any, and
am not aware that any have come through our shelter, but I absolutely must
agree with the Killians that many ferrets have a great deal of difficulty
adjusting to being moved.  In my experience, the older the ferret, the more
it suffers with the move generally.  We try to keep the bedding in the cage
the ferret came in with the ferret at least for the first few days if at all
posible.  (Obviously if it is flea infested, absolutely filthy, etc.  we
don't.)

-Anne