From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:38:24 -0800
More and more folks are stating their discontent with the lack of
confirmation of gifts received or expressions of appreciation. Warnings
have come folks. Time to wake up and smell the coffee or gifts may not
come your way. Times are tough and I fear they may get tougher.

I have to admit, I too have felt much of the disappointment expressed.
As hard as I try, I find my personality needs an occasional pat on the
back. Big pats give me even more desire to do more good deeds. I have
tried since I joined the FML to have a "Giving Tree" attitude all year
long. It has been harder as shipping costs increase. I have modified my
approach. First I changed to picking all the ferrets from one shelter
and sending one or two HUGE boxes to provide for all of them. Then I
cut back to sending boxes to shelters on the East Coast only, cash or
gift cards elsewhere. Then I went to donations through raffles.

Finally, I asked myself. What is the difference if I help ferrets in
need in NYS or ferrets in need in any other state? Someone is always in
need. There must be a way this can be a win-win for the animals and for
myself. I have found the answer in fostering for our Humane Society.
While I do run into frustrations, I try to remember to look at the big
picture. I hear negative stories, investigate them and provide feedback
to the person making them. Too often it is an old, old story from times
when our HS was but a young pup. With so much changing in NY, better
animal protection laws, community activists, shelters for specific
breeds, partner sheltering and fostering, more animals are being saved,
rehabbed and placed in good homes. Too often it is the parroting of
old stories from another time - they have not learned policies have
changed.

Since November of 2010, I have fostered seven ferrets, three gerbils,
four dwarf hamsters, six rats, four rabbits, one cat and one dog. I'm
having the time of my life! I get thank-yous daily. I don't find them
in the mailbox or in the computer. I get them with every opportunity
to hold, pet, hug and observe these animals. I have learned so much. I
watch animal species co-exist and truly enjoy each other's company. It
warms my heart.

October was a devastating month for me with the loss of pets. I went to
the GT once. I could not handle it, the emotional stories of so many
ferrets in need. I turned to my foster critters for the support and
love I needed while caring for them. You heard about Libby Nibby Ryan a
week or so ago. Nibbles came for hospice care as she is 6.5 years old.
She was formally adopted two days ago when six members of the Ratsby
Family came for winter camp!

If you are finding costs and lack of appreciation bothering you,
perhaps you will take the road less traveled and foster for a shelter
or humane society. I still root for the underdogs and give whatever I
can. It is simply closer to home now.

CR

Help feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3