From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:28:30 -0700
Hello everyone . . . . .

A local ferret shelter operator (in WA state) made a rather disturbing
comment to me today about ADV and I would like to know if anyone can
provide information and/or documentation to substantiate the claim?

(In all of FML discussions about ADV + ferrets and the disease itself, I
don't think I've ever heard this claim or seen it clearly substantiated
but maybe I just wasn't paying attention during any of the discussions).
By the way, I'm not looking to start a war here; just asking for
clarification and facts to support the claim if any are available.

Shelter operator said (and I quote word for word), "Petco ferrets
received from Marshall Farms have a tremendously high rate of being
ADV+".  You are putting your ferret at great risk by exposing it to a
Petco ferret without proper quarrantine time and you should NEVER buy
a ferret from Petco."  She ended the statement with, "That information
is ALL OVER the internet if you just took the time to look for it."  (I
spent two hours looking today and have yet to find anything)

Can anyone help me process this?  I'm not saying the woman is wrong; I'm
merely saying I don't know enough about the statement she made to know
whether or not there is validity in it and cause for concern when
exposing my furkid(s) to Petco ferrets (which is about once a year).

Thanks for your input and please feel free to contact me directly if you
prefer.

Jennifer and "Sad Snowy"  :-S