From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:17:32 -0600
I promiced to update the list about Ricky, our aging DEW who has a
sqamous cell tumor on his left lower jaw. Our vet, Dr. Dean Kolich,
performed cryo surgery about 3 weeks ago on the tumor. Ricky came home
with what looked like a huge scab on his jaw. He continued to eat his
softened kibble and soup without complaining and the "scab" slowly fell
away. He had a check up today and Dr. K. found evidence of a small
amount of tumor that had escaped the freezing so he re-cryo'ed (?) that
small area. So far so good.

Ricky also has adrenal tumors and some prostate hypertrophy. He
sometimes strains to urinate and we have put him on Propecia. This
seems to help. He has a melatonin implant and has had a couple of
Lupron shots, now has a full winter coat. (All of the shelter ferrets
have great coats, probably because the tempurature in there tends to
be about 58 degrees F.) I have managed to talk the foster dad out of
giving him the B-17, Laetrile, that he bought in Mexico but we do give
him a modest dose of fish oil daily.

Rick is an old guy, probably 7 or 8, but he does like to tool around
the shelter a bit some days. All in all I'd say he's doing well. We may
not extend his life and I expect the squamous cell tumor to reappear at
some point, but for the time being he's comfortable, eating well, and
active for his age. I will continue to let you know how he does.

Bobbi McC