From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:44:31 -0500
Paula, it wasn't us posting about that, though we have done it in the past.

Oh, WOW!  Scooter just put a collar on himself.  'Chopper the Organic
Helicopter used to do that all the time and she found it very humorous,
but she was the only one till now.  These are fabric covered hair elastics
which are pretty wide and very stretchy.  The ferret has to push the nose
through and then use two hands to roll them on.

Normally, the collars just sit around here for them to hide and for us to
put on if they are doing something "public" like being used to show what
ferrets are like in a school.  (Of course, we can't always find them
then...)  Mostly they are just toys.

NOT happy to read that P&G is trying to pass off using corn instead of rice
in Iams as an improvement when there's medical documentation of it causing
bladder stones in ferrets by changing the pH.  Has anyone called them and
directed them to the James Fox's vet text and the nutrition chapter?  I'd
had a "wait and see" attitude but passing off a change that can be bad as
something good, coming right now like it does, sounds too much to me like
happened in the movie we just saw a few days ago, "Erin Brokovich" (true
story for at least the critical parts, I gather), in which people were
given info on the good forms of chromium and the bad one (hexavalent
if memory serves) being used was ignored.  BTW, IS there any medical
evidence that rice affects blood sugar badly?  (I.E. Did I miss it, or is
there not such documentation in your files/texts?)