From:
Adam & Nicole Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 10:18:47 -0400
Hi.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Ouzo was helped across the rainbow
bridge this morning.  Last night he stopped eating and drinking on his own
and his breathing was very shallow.

I wrote to everyone a couple of months ago about Ouzo; we were treating
for mange and distemper and a whole slew of different cancers at the time.
Ouzemonster survived all these illnesses (adrenal, insulinoma, mange,
distemper, skin tumors) and appeared to be on the mend.  About three weeks
ago, my vet (Dr. Parker of High Park Animal Hospital) told me he most
likely had a mass growing in his chest (I chose not to do x-rays to
confirm) as she was unable to squeeze his rib cage.  I've watched him
slowly waste away, but he never gave up; Ouzo always tried to play.  Last
night, I knew it was time.  I just had to get him through the night so
that I could take him to High Park to be put to sleep.

I want to thank Dr. Parker and all the staff at High Park for being able to
understand my garbled message about Ouzo this morning (I was crying at the
time).  We were able to bring him in at 8:30 this morning for the procedure.
They've been so kind and so dedicated to maintaining Ouzo's and all my
other ferrets health.  Dr. Parker has worked miracles with Ouze, as far as
I'm concerned, as we figure he was 8 yrs in June (99), and everyone thought
he'd die last June (98).  Dr. Parker took the time to really investigate
Ouzo's problems and cried with me the last time he was at the vet's (when I
found out about the mass).  She's been so caring; I just want to thank her
so much for everything.

I want to thank Paige Townsend, who gave me the advice I needed last night
on how to keep him alive just a little bit longer.  And to apologize again
for waking her up.  She was there when I needed her, and I really
appreciate that.

I also want to thank my husband, Adam, and my best friend, Elissa, who
helped me get through last night and the last year.  Without their
dedication and concern, Ouzo never would have lived as long as he did.
Ouzo was our family pet.  I want to let them know that I appreciate all
the help and support they have given me, so that I wouldn't give up the
fight on keeping Ouzo alive for as long as we could.

I will miss Ouzemonster every day.  I look forward to meeting him on the
other side of the bridge one day.  I just hope he knows how much I loved
him.  He's the one that made me love ferrets so much.  On that note, I also
want to thank Randy Belair for giving me the opportunity to take of Ouzo
and to adopt him into my family.  Randy has been a great inspiration to me;
her dedication and love for every ferret that comes through her doors is
awesome.

Thanks everyone - for letting me share Ouzemonster's life and passing
with you.

Nicole