From:
Melissa Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:03:02 -0700
We picked up Kokie from his little prison, recieving a starved fear biter
that whined if the ferretvite was not given quick enough.  The fear
biting, oddly enough, stopped within an hour and he was giving out kisses
instead.  I was boggled, really.

Kokie is back up to the weight he should be for his size, which brought
other problems.  You see, this baby who had been without toys, starved,
and lumped in with younger ferrets... is a spaz.  Yes, he's the fastest
ferret in the Northeast, I've never seen such a hyper boy.  He also had
a foot biting habit that was taking its toll on our feet.

However!  Thanks to all of the wonderful suggestions, we now have a ferret
that, while not completely reformed, certainly has improved.  I was afraid
to scruff, since we suspect this boy had been abused, so time outs and
ferretone on the feet has been our formula.  It's worked!  Now we get a
nip one out of every five times out, which is a HUGE improvement!

Now Kokie has another problem..  he's figured out how to jump EVERY
barrier we put up in our living room to keep him safe.  He learned to jump
onto and climb the two foot barrier, so we put up a four foot.  Guess
what?  He's figured that one out, too.  The last time he did it, he
climbed up on an end table and jumped over the thing, no fear at all.
So, out goes the end table and HOPEFULLY this will stop him, but I'm not
holding my breath!  At least he's now healthy, happy, and able to get out
and play.

I'm glad that Tomoyo and Yuhi have shown no signs of even caring what's
on the other side of the divider, they're more interested in that new dig
box of theirs!