From:
"Susan D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:08:31 EDT
Hi!  I've been a lurker for several months.  Haven't posted til now.  I
have four ferrets (Zeus, Thor, Oscar, and Arthur) and have just finished
this weekend converting an extra bedroom into their own room.  It turned
out really nice.

I had e-mailed Jeanne Carley to ask if there was anything that could be
done to help with legalization in California from an out-of-stater.  Ms.
Carley asked that I forward her response:

Hi Susan,

Thanks so much for your offer to help out and YES!  there are some
organizations and individuals to whom out of state supporters can write.
One is our Governor, Gray Davis.  I think Governor Davis might be
interested to know how out of state people feel about this issue (politely
of course).  His address is:

Governor Gray Davis
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA  95814

Another way that out of state people can help is by writing to the National
Organizations of the Sierra Club and Audubon Society.  Both have allowed
their California chapters to oppose legalization here, severely hurting our
efforts.  It is purely a matter of politics for these organizations to
oppose legalization since ferrets are NOT a threat to the environment
rather the other way around.

Here are their addresses:

Charles McGrady, President
Sierra Club
85 2nd St.
San Francisco, CA  94105

John Flicker, President
National Audubon Society
700 Broadway
New York, NY    10003

Tell these organizations that since the ferret is domesticated, it does not
merit placement on a prohibited wildlife list.  In addition, it is one of
the safest pets to the environment, far safer than the dog or cat, so its
prohibition makes no sense.  Why eliminate the legal option of an animal
that has no impact on the environment?  In addition, our bill mandates that
this environmentally safe pet is spayed and neutered, so it is a bill that
should be supported not opposed.  It may, after all, open a door to much
needed spay neuter requirements for other domesticated pets.

We know that this opposition is not in response to any problems with the
ferret, but is simply in response to misinformation put forth by our own
Department of Fish and Game.  Neither the Sierra Club nor Audubon opposed
recent bills in Massachusetts or Michigan.  Tell them you are offended and
outraged by their opposition.  Defeat of our bill will mean that the people
of California will continue to be fined, or even jailed for ferret
ownership!  If you live out of state, you are barred from moving or
visiting with your domesticated ferret even though cat and dog owners (pets
that have far more of an effect on the environment) enjoy this privilege.
As an owner of a domesticated ferret you too have this right.

DFG has spent considerable time and expense digging up opposition and
misinforming them about the ferret.  Help us set the record straight.  Let
these organizations know that their opposition may have consequences for
them.  If they are so willing to hurt good people for simply exercising a
right they already have, then they might get hurt (financially) in return.
Your donations are being mis-spent!  Please join a national campaign to
tell the Sierra Club and Audubon Society to stop turning good Californians
into criminals, and to spend your donations wisely or drop you from the
donor list.  Have your friends, and family write as well.

Thanks for offering to help Susan.  It's clear to me from your post that
perhaps I've been remiss about keeping out of state people up to date on
what they can do to help.  If you have the time, could forward your post
and my reply to the FML so others can write as well?

Sincerely,

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website