From:
rosemary german <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:48:31 -0400
I had a scare today !!  Ferris my Hubby's 5 yr old former rescue boy was
in a seizure this morning when i went to dole out everyones Soupie.  I
pulled him out of his bed to find him unresponsive and near death!!  I
immediately started Karo syrup on the gums and rubbed with my finger.
Then kept talking to him and rubbing his body to keep blood flow!  took
his BG and it read LO -meaning too low to register!!  I added a couple
drops of water to the capful of Karo and syringed it onto his gums and
into his clinched mouth being careful not to drown him.  It took around
25 mins to get him out of it and to begin to be coherent!  His Vet was
unavailableat the time and so were his back up vets so i had to work
quickly as he may not have made the ride if they were available!  As he
slowly began to come out of the seizure , I administered 1/2 crushed
tablet of 1 ml Pred mixed in couple drops water, by syringe..  Slowly
he took it.  Then i kept up with the Karo until i knew he had made it
through.  Then i syringed 1 teasp.  of Chicken baby food warmed with a
little water and repeated the baby food 3 hours later.

We almost lost him-to GUESS what?  INSULINOMA!!  The only outright signs
previous were subtle, like sleeping more -so the BG monitor told the
story!!!

Knowing how to check BG is SO IMPORTANT for every caregiver.  It has been
hours since and he remains stable and i have been keeping a watchful eye
on him as he is back to eating kibble hours later.  Everyone should know
a protocol and keep KARO syrup on hand as it makes the difference between
saving or loosing the life when Vet is not immediately available!  I have
been through this 3 times before with other ferrets but this was the
longest one.  .Now he will be on Pred 1/2 mg twice a day.

Tonite Ferris is doing great and thank God for people before me that
have shared their knowlege and experience!

(I am so thankful for prayer as i prayed all through that incident not
wanting to tell Hubby -that he may have lost his little boy.  )

Rose
www.littlefeetferretbedding.com/