From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 23:51:07 EDT
Recently a few people have posted requests for help in placing ferrets.
Things like "our shelter just got in a ferret that needs a home", or "a
friend needs to get rid of her ferret, please help."   And since a few
people questioned the policy about such posts, I figured it was time to
make one up.

For shelters, I don't have problems with notices about *unusual* cases that
might be hard to place and whose lives might even be in jeopardy if they
stay put.  Even shelters sometimes get cases they can't handle for whatever
reason and we need to consider the quality of life these "problem" ferrets
are living in the meantime.  Likewise, an occasional post by a non-profit
shelter temporarily overrun by an unexpectedly large influx of critters
might also be appropriate.

For private individuals needing to place a ferret they found, or needing to
place ferrets they can no longer keep, postings to the FML are appropriate
as long as it's clear there's no profit motive involved (i.e asking for a
little money is ok if it's a token amount and/or supplies are included.)

What I DON'T want are shelters posting about all their new offerings, or
private individuals who are actually breeders posting about kits for sale.

So the quick summary: unusual circumstances from shelters or individuals are
fine, but routine or commercial stuff I'd rather do without.

Bill