From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:53:03 -0600
Well it is that time of the year again and we all know that heat rises and
cold falls.  Typically, when the weather gets colder (as it will in most
areas of our country) people pull on the socks, house slippers, warmer
clothes and turn the heat on in the house.  Not wanting the heating bill to
be so large, people will dress warmer and keep the thermometer down a bit.
This can present a problem for some of the shortest 4-footed members who
live in our homes.  We need to make sure the floors are warm enough for the
ferrets, especially if their beds are on the floor areas, not up in condo
tops.  Also, make sure there is plenty of warm, soft bedding available for
them to cover up with and snuggle down into.  Ferrets do catch colds and
need the same warmth and protection that we people do during the cold
months.  Never, never house a ferret outside in unheated (or air
conditioned in summer) environments.  They cannot survive in temperature
extremes.  They are domestic animals and fragile in this respect.  They
need moderate temperatures just like we do.THey catch colds and flus from
people so keep them protected from ill family and friends.  If a ferret is
coughing, he/she needs medical attention.  It could be from a cold, upper
respiratory infection/bronchitis, pneumonia(very serious), or hair ball
disease--potentially life threatening also.  Please remember to make needed
adjustments for the little ones in your care, now that it is cold weather
again.  Keep their cages, beds, condos, away from drafty cold areas, and
give them warm, ferret-safe bedding.  A small percentage of ferrets do chew
on and ingest bedding or fabric materials so check once in a while to see
if you have a ferret prone to doing this.  The risk here is intestinal
blockages--life threatening.  But most ferrets just cuddle up and do not
ingest fabrics.

Happy holidays and God bless you all---furred and otherwise! :o)
Jan and the furry baker's dozen at Gracie's Place in the Land of Oz