From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:18:20 -0500
I unfortunately replied privately to Geoff about the SuperPet cages.

Yes, by all means skip them.  If you get the ones with all-the-way-across
shelves and none of those tubes, they aren't terrible, but the doors are
MUCH too small and they are hard to clean.  And boy do I have a new pair
that can make a holy mess....

I would recommend complete floors rather than shelves in any cage.  Some
of mine are just too clumsy and tend to fall off of the shelves.  On
latches - you want to avoid most of the traditional baby latches.  These
allow the cabinet to open just enough to get your finger in, which could
be enough for a small ferret to squeeze through or a larger ferret to get
stuck in.

I just installed some of the magnetic Rev-a-Lock latches that I got from
the FerretStore (www.ferretstore.com) on our cabinets.  They take a little
effort and a lot of drilling to install, but they work great!  The biggest
problem is remembering where to place the magnet to work the latch on the
other side.... These are installed internally, so they leave no marks on
the outside of your cabinets.

You might also be able to find some external latches in a hardware store,
but of course they will show.  There is also a type of latch used on some
boat cabinets that works internally, but has a pull-string or hole through
the cabinet door so you can operate it.  Of course a pull-string would
just be too tempting to a curious little fuzzball.

Roger, Digger, Bear, Pepper, and Badger