From:
Brandon Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 06:58:39 PDT
Alicia,
I made a gate yesterday that seems to work really well for keeping the
little people either in or out of someplace.

I went to the hardware store and bought a child safety gate, the cheap kind
with the wood and the plastic mesh.  I then took it to the back counter and
had them cut me two pieces of plexiglass to fit on the inside of the frame
(just above the mesh.) I drilled several holes in the plexiglass to attatch
it to the frame.

This configuration didn't work all that well because I have a couple of
jumpers that can leap and grap the top so I had to make one more
modification.  I cut a slit in a large cardboard tube (like carpet comes
on, and then cut the length to fit the door, I use it primarily on.)  I
then slid the tube over the top of the gate, and placed it in the door.
The weasles have yet to escape, they try to jump over it, but the tube
makes it impossible for them to grab hold.

Also when yopu set it up, make sure the side with the plexiglass is facing
the ferrets, otherwise they'll climb right over. . .

The hole set up cost me about 25 bucks.  As an alternative to the cardboard
tube you could use inexpensive PVC pipe (my ferrets love that stuff.  Though
you'd probably then want the store to cut that for you as well.

I'll be happy to assist others if I didn't do a good enough job explaining
how this works.  Hope this helps..  .

-Brandon