From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:02:55 -0800
Hi Gang,

Great news!!  I watched a lightening show to the west for several hours
before finally finishing chores and getting myself off to bed around 1:00am.
No rain yet, but I had hopes.  At 2:30am when the phone rang (someone
calling me with a sick fuzzy) I could hear thunder approaching.  By 3:00am
it was pouring!!!!!  There were heavy thunderstorms here until about 6:00am,
when I got up, and everything is SOAKED!!!

No more fires to worry about for quite a while....YEAH!!!

Whew, that is such a relief for me, especially since I have a big day at the
vet's planned so will not be here to keep an eye out for fires.  Too scary!

In case anyone is wondering, no, shelter mom's don't need "sleep", huh,
whatever gave you that idea?  Just **coffee**, gallons and gallons of
coffee, with a life or death emergency thrown in here and there to keep the
adrenalin pumping good :?

So, with the fires not a threat at the moment, my biggest problem now is
only a *raging case* of poison oak!!  I was clearing more trees back away
from the house to give firefighters a better chance at saving my home should
fire strike (me and the fuzzies wouldn't be hanging around though) and I got
into just a bit of it.  Apparently, the older I get the more sensitive I am
becoming to it, I have always been allergic to it, but usually if I am
careful it isn't too bad, but now it's like all I have to do is look at it
and I break out in this awful itchy rash and swelling from head to toe.
Unfortunately, my land is covered with it!  [Does anyone have any great home
remedies or know how I can get cortisone without a costly doctor visit?]

Our vet trip today will include 2 neuters, possibly 3 if the vet thinks the
little guy is old enough, a poor guy coming in from NM to see my *great*
vet, this kid, Coco, is suffering from adrenal tumor and prostate problems
secondary to the adrenal, plus poor little Itchy has a terrible respiratory
problem, so he'll probably get mega-drugs today.

But, all in all I am one VERY HAPPY (but "itchy") shelter mom now that the
threat of fire has passed for a bit.

Thanks to all who sent letters of concern and offers to send anything we
needed if a fire hit!!  You guys are the greatest.  The fuzzies send wet
sloppy kisses to you all.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter