From:
Helen Chuang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 13:39:30 EDT
I love the FML.  I read every bit of it every morning.  It's kind of like
my "morning paper" :-)  I laugh out loud when I read some of the stories
about furball antics.  Other times I cry because of the loss of someone's
child.  Or because of stories of abuse, or because of something like this:
Last week or so there was a posting about a woman who "traded in" her
ferrets for ferrets of a different color because she didn't realize that
they came in colors other than albino.  Yesterday, there was a posting
about someone who "traded in" his pet rats for a ferret at a pet store.

What is going on there?  How can people have the heart to "trade in" their
pets?  Have they truly forgotten that they once Chose those creatures to
be part of their lives?  Well, I don't understand.  All I know is that I
cuddle and kiss my furchild every day.  (And when I'm sorta sweaty, she
kisses me back :-) )  Sigh...I don't expect any sort of explanation for
this any more than I would expect an answer to why people neglect or abuse
their kids (human, furry, or otherwise).  I just had all of this pressure
build up behind my eyes when I read those things and I had to get it out
somehow.

On another note, a cool thing: I went canoeing with a bunch of people for a
while yesterday and saw a mink along the bank of the river.  It was running
along on short little legs with it's back arched (like someone I know :-) )
and when we went by, it stood up on it's hind legs and stared at us for a
second.  Kind of looked like Felicia looks when she's begging for a treat...

Helen