From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:15:31 -0400
Adrenal tissue regrowing:  Sure, if there is tissue remaining from
either adrenal then regrowth is possible.  In fact, since the right is
usually harder to remove completely (due to position, and tendency to
be adhered to the Vena Cava and sometime to the liver) than the left
it's the right adrenal which is more often implicated in such
regrowths.  (We went to Lupron with one of our's for R adrenal tissue
regrowth after a third surgery because she had by then developed a very
serious problem.)  BTW, there are some GREAT vet posts on preventative
measures in http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org (Use AFERRETVET in the "from"
box during a search to find most of them.),  and I think all of them
are also in the FML as "from FHL" posts so see
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html .  The address of
the FML Archives is the header of each day's FML.  Also read up on
melatonin and Lupron uses (for those who aren't surgical candidates,
for prevention, for post-op use) in http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc .

BTW, where there is NO adrenal tissue tissue remaining after surgery the
ferret MUST get Florinef/Fludrocort and Pred, or Percorten and Pred.
Without them the ferret WILL go into an Addisonian Crisis and this will
be fatal.  These meds replace essential adrenal products without which
the ferret can not survive.  Usually, these meds work beautifully in
ferrets, even those who need them for the majority of their lives.

(Perhaps because these are somewhat different areas of the adrenal cortex
which product the corticosteroid adrenal products vs. the hormonal
adrenal products there are even a very few cases where ferrets needed
both Lupron and the Florinef/Fludrocort and Pred, or Percorten and Pred
approach.)

I've been fortunate in that the only tornado I've been near was a tiny
one that was blocks away, and the only downburst I've been near ended
across the street from us, but I sure have been in a couple of nasty
hurricanes when I grew up on Long Island and recall things like barrier
beach islands cut through so that they became 2 islands, the yards of
people I knew suddenly acquiring an in-land salt pond and a cut all the
way through to the sound, the houses of some people I know being lost
when the moraine cliffs collapsed, Dad having to take a rowboat to check
our store in downtown Port Jeff, a house across from the Setauket Harbor
having its third story lying in front of it turned upside down, posed
like a boat, and a good size pleasure craft through the front of another
house across the road and up a long front lawn from the Setauket Harbor.
I remember us having to have an emergency cooker, loads of food and
beverages which didn't need cooking, and buckets of water for washing and
flushing because although the sewers were working the pumps at the water
station to bring water (and once some mains near the harbor, if memory
serves), the telephones, and the electricity were all out for extended
times.  I recall some of the older houses like my paternal grandparents
with REAL shutters -- not ornaments but real wooden shutters on hinges
which could be closed and secured to protect windows from flying debris
(something I think people should bring back), pantries (ditto), storm
windows, storm doors, and mudrooms/entryways (all also useful).  Luckily,
I haven't known anyone washed out and drowned or crushed with (or
without) their homes by a storm surge but my dad did from an especially
nasty earlier hurricane.  The houses wash right away some times with all
in them.

Therefore, it is only natural that I really feel for those shelters which
have suffered from this year's hurricanes.  Roofs go flying.  Windows
shatter.  People wind up not being able to cool animals, having all their
supplies destroyed by water, not being able to get meds having mold
invade the food, etc.  (I read a news story yesterday of a shipment of
shoes to tide over people in one area because so many lost all their
footwear to water and debris.)

People in the way of major storms really DO need your help!

One way you can provide that help is through the SOS (which is tax
deductible).  Just go to
http://supportourshelters.org