Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:08:09 EDT
>My fiance whom just returned home informed me that the woman's name is
>Sharon King.  She is short, overweight, and of the African American race.
>Please e-mail me back, i would really like to know if your shelter is
>still just that and is accepting applications for adopting ferrets

We are in the process of tracking this woman down.  When I find her, we
are going to have an interesting discussion about the shelter.  We don't
have a shelter in Hampton - never did - logistics are too screwy for that
with the traffic and the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.  We have never had
a Co-Director.  Our organization consists of one director, 2 assistant
directors and 2 board members.  We almost never waive adoption fees - the
shelter could not survive without them!

There is another shelter in Virginia Beach - but I can't imagine any of
the members of that shelter making these claims - they are better than
that.  As far as I know, both of us adopt, rescue and rehabilitate and
work very peacefully at our similar goal: finding ferrets homes.

I just can't understand the motivation of someone doing this - did they
believe it would never get back to the true directorship of the shelter?
Were they trying to 'steal' potential adoptions from us?  If so, thats
very screwed up - and means that the ferrets in my shelter could have
possibly been prevented from finding a new home.  Thats very sad - and
shame on her if that is the reason!

We will be putting a note on our website to expose this woman.  I have
already contacted the local Humane agencies over in Newport News and the
Pet stores that we frequent to make sure there is no mistake.

Again, if *anyone* has more information, please contact my privately -
and thank you!

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
www.ferrethaven.org