From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 10:29:17 -0700
This is something I gleaned from another list, but it's sooooo relevant
it bears being passed on.  I'm not quoting the writer directly, I am
paraphrasing, but the message is very straight forward.

When individuals thrust their varying belief systems into a list thread
it can cause separation instead of connection.  The theory is that all
our actions will result in the recipient (of our deeds, our gestures, our
words) feeling either a separation or a connectedness to us.  We should not
push cognitive awareness of this into the background when we communicate.
[That means keep your brain in gear when you operate your keyboard or
speak.]

Our goal, as ferret persons, should be to communicate in a connected way
with each other.  This goes along with my own personal belief that we
should neither say nor do anything which will make another person feel
uncomfortable.  And you all know I don't always successfully follow my
own advice, but it was my intention when I got up that morning.

It's my opinion that each of us comes on this list with the desire to
connect with other ferret people.  Some may want to exchange communication
with as many people as possible, experiencing all the diverse cultural
exchanges they can find.  Others will intuitively seek their own kind.  We
see posts which ask 'are there any other people from X country'.  Sub
groups form, where people exchange more than just ferret information.

I've lived in a number of states, 8 in the past 12 years, and I sometimes
wondered why I was happy in some areas, and decidedly disenchanted in
others.  You know that old saying 'you only have 1 chance to make a good
first impression'?  Is that what happens to our members?  We failed to make
a good impression and they got 'disenchanted' with us and stayed that way?
Actually I have a theory about my liking some areas and never 'taking' to
others.  It's FOOD!  When I arrive somewhere, tired and hungry, I am all
out of sorts and it rarely gets any better.  We have learned to stop and
eat and relax a few miles from our destination, so we can roll into the new
town with happy tummies and calm minds.

Wait!  I hear the (projected) drone of "geez, Georgia, did you wander off
the trail"?  No, I have a point, if we experience something that leaves
us out of sorts, we may NEVER find happiness here.  Eat something before
reading, mahahahaha!

But to re-focus on connection/seperation, if people don't find a connection
they may deliberately work from an 'I am separated from you' mode.  Making
thrusts about cultural differences becomes a self fullfilling prophacy.
They insure that they were correct in their first assessment, with
continued posts aimed at getting negative response.

Or, maybe they were just jackasses to begin with.

Georgia - the left coast one...