From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:03:12 -0400
Support Our Shelters has become aware of two abuses of our 501(c)3 status
which are being recommended to the shelters by some less-than-ethical
people.  I would like to clarify what is and is not an ethical use of
our non-profit status.

A shelter operator or board member may NOT donate money to their own
shelter through S.O.S. and then claim a tax deduction.

A shelter operator may NOT advertise eBay or raffle or other sale items
claiming that S.O.S. will receive part of the proceeds.

In the first case, let me make it clear that we are not a tax shelter,
we are a legitimate charity.  We obtained our 501(c)3 status from the IRS
so that we could extend tax deductions to people who want to help the
shelters and receive a tax deduction for their gifts.  This benefits the
shelters, because people are more willing to give if they can receive a
deduction.  As it turns out, this also enables shelters to raise funds at
PetCo and PetSmart under our umbrella.  They raise the funds, the store
sends S.O.S. the check, and we send it to the shelter.

If these are not advantages enough for some shelter operators, they
should do the work, pay the fees, and obtain their own non-profit status.
They have no right to jeopardize our work and the help we are able to
give to other shelters with their questionable financial practices.

In the second case, shelters who never told us that they were raising
money for S.O.S. have advertised that they are.  If they had spoken
to us, I would have told them what I usually tell shelters... keep the
money.  Our whole purpose is to raise money for shelters, and we would
rather see shelters keep their profits and buy something for their
ferrets.  That is what we exist to promote.  There have been a couple
of cases where very grateful shelters have insisted on doing something
in return, but they have also told us beforehand.

If you see S.O.S. named as the beneficiary of a portion of the profits
from a shelter's sale or raffle, they may be using our name as an
advertising ploy and have no intention of sending anything to S.O.S.
Please notify us that our name is being used, and feel free to inquire
whether we actually received a donation from this shelter within a month
or so of the sale.  It is really rather sad that we have to say something
like this, because there ARE people who raise money and send it in to us
for the ferrets.  We don't want to discourage generosity towards the
shelters, but we do want you to think twice about the character of the
people you buy from.  There's someone honest out there with a sleep sack
just as cozy for your guys.

S.O.S. is an all-volunteer organization, and some of the work we do is
extremely time and energy consuming.  To have our work for the shelters
put at risk by a dishonest and selfish few is something we can't allow.
We have never been able to visit many shelters in person, and policing
something like this is difficult.  We do rely on input from the ferret
community to learn what individual shelters are like.  Of course, we know
better than to believe everything we hear, so we check things out before
we respond.  In this matter, the evidence is right on the web.  When you
seen any of it yourself, please let us know.

Judith White
President and Treasurer
--

~~~~~ Support Our Shelters ~~~~~