From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:41:38 -0400
My 80-lb. shepherd mix (Max) was raised around ferrets.  If Max is awake,
he enjoys playing with the ferrets.  When he is eating or sleeping, he does
not like to be disturbed by them (and they are pretty obnoxious).  I don't
let them near him when he is eating or sleeping.  I also think it can be a
risk to have him step on them if they are in a paper bag, etc.  But for the
most part he is very good.

I used to have an oversized sheltie who was introduced to ferrets as an
adult.  She was wonderful with them; most likely the sheltie herding
instinct?

I also had a ferret who came close to being killed by a neighbor's dog
(mixed shepherd).  I think a lot depends on the dog, if they are used to
other animals, etc.  I would advise using common sense and closely
monitoring their interaction, especially in the beginning.

My experience with cats is that ferrets tend to annoy cats because they are
always trying to play with them.  Also, ferrets will bite cats when they are
sleeping, eating etc. (as well as *staring* at them).  I make sure that my
cats have access to places where the ferrets can't go (usually places high
up-- tables, furniture, etc.) I think it's stressful for a cat to be bitten
by a ferret, even if the ferret is playing.

My experience is also that feral cats who become house cats get along well
with ferrets.  (Feral cats are cats that were born outdoors and were not
handled until later in life.) I find that feral cats who become pets tend to
get along very well with other animals and have very sweet dispositions.  In
my house, they are the ones who do the best with the ferrets.

Ronnie
Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming, Merlin the Maniac
Max & felines