From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 08:29:08 -0500
Dr. Williams - I have two ferrets with what seems to be very soft stool.
Their samples checked out ok for whatever the normal screen is for.  Dr.
Brown on AOL said she had heard from a vet in MI that she had seen quite a
bit of giardia here.  My vet said it is very hard to find and left it at
that, so I guess the ball is in my court.  Should I insist that my vet try
to "find it"?  Should I just go ahead and treat for it?  What is the
treatment and are their any side effects?  Should I not really worry about
soft stool?  I worry about whether they are getting all the nutrients they
should be.  They eat totally ferret and aren't under any particular stress,
environment changes etc.  Their stool is more or less formed but falls
apart/mushes as soon as it hits the paper towel and seems sort of...  grainy
I guess.  I feel like I am always obsessing over ferret poop:} It's a little
embarrassing.  Thank you very much for being here and answering questions by
the way.

Also - someone recently mentioned modifying the ferret playpen with
additional levels or something - could you please tell me how you did that?
Those little plastic shelves don't really give much more space for playing
or anything.  There is a lot of wasted space in that cage...I have though of
trying to get that regular wire mesh stuff they use in cages and make two
whole floors with the ramps coming up the middle and then carpeting them.

Thanks

Loved all the Christmas ferret songs - you'all are so creative!

Mary