From:
Birgit van der Laan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:33:42 +0100
There has been some reactions on my post about ferret clothing.  So let
me respond on them.

>Ardith Raine wrote:
>I think *dressing* a ferret can be a fun time for all too.  I doubt any
>one here would make their ferret miserable.  Think of the exercise they
>get with all the wiggling.  Plus all that one on one special attention
>that may last for, well..... at least 15 seconds.

There are thousend ways for a ferret to get special attention.  If your
ferret runs out of ideas, give him mine e-mailaddress ;).  My ferrets
will be pleased to answer ;).  No but seriously, I think there are many
other (and better) ways for a ferret to get exercise.

>HannahBelle wrote:
>What other things should my ferret not do "for fun" because he's not a
>human or because it's not natural?

I know that ferrets are domesticated pets and they live with human.  We
cant avoid them to contact 'humanthings' and that is not my point.  For
me, there is a big difference between a ferret living with humans and
treat a ferret as a human.  There is a difference between a ferret
playing at the couch and a ferret dressup up.

>Riley in his raincoat is what convinced my grandmother that perhaps
>ferrets weren't just smelly, vicious wild animals.

And what did she see now?  A sweet adorable dressud up animal?  But not
the ferret he really is.  A ferret is no doll.  He is great the way he
is and if you need a raincoat to convince your grandmother..  If ppl see
only great pets when dressed up like humans, then I dont even want to
'convince' them.  As long as I know it :-)

>I would much rather see someone take wonderful care of their ferret -
>feed it only the best foods, give it the best medical care, and let it
>free-roam - and dress it up once in a while, than someone who leaves
>their ferret to rot in a cage.

I totally agree on this one.  But that was not my point.  I dont say that
ppl who dress up their ferrets are bad owners.  I wouldnt dare saying
that.  So please dont feel attacked by my opinion.  That we dont agree
about dressing up ferrets does not mean that one of us is a better or
worse ferret-take-care-person.

Anthony C Orlando wrote:
>If you & your ferrets don't like playing dress-up, that's ok for you.
>But I fail to see how its any of your business to tell others its wrong.

I hope I stated clear in my post that it was my opinion.  Please note
that I didnt say "Dressing ferrets up IS wrong" but I said "I find it
wrong".  (but as you might have noticed, Im not an english speaking
person, so it had to be "I think it is wrong".) But anyway, I read on the
FML about how great dressed up ferrets are and I disagree with it.  Then
it is my right to tell my opinion about it..  but I really dont want to
claim that my point of view is the right one.

Kesrael Vacchon wrote:
>...so I don't see the harm in viewing your ferrets as little humans.
>After all, each and every one of them has their own little personality,
>don't they?

Yes they have, but for me, that does not make them little humans.  A
ferret is a great and fantastic pet, but still it is a animal.  Although
you can love it even more then a human being.