From:
Candy Kroupa's E-Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:09:24 EST
Amy - you mention Mordecai and doors. . . .hmmmm.  Drifter DOES oppose his
thumb -- really!  When he puts his paws around something, that inner "thumb"
goes opposite the rest. . . and he CAN open some doors.  I've had to
"ferret-proof" the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, and the little carpet
sharks have shredded the carpet around the louvre doors by most of the
closets (those are still too much for them to handle).  They haven't
mastered door knobs yet, but they SURE DO know what a door is and where it
leads!  Lynx and Silk climb up the table I have next to the front door and
will try to leap out the door when I open it. . . I have to be REALLY
careful when leaving in the morning.  Usually this involves picking up an
armload of weasels as I go out the door and tucking them back inside as I
shut the door.

Chris mentions Loki doesn't have an interest in raisins. . . when I heard
about raisins last year I tried it -- NONE of my fuzzies were at all
interested.  Drifter is still a chocoholic ... any time I open anything
chocolate anywhere in the place, he shows up with his nose sniffing in the
air. . . I get mugged.  Occasionally I'll let him LICK a few licks but
that's all . . . none of the others are interested.  He's 6 years old, and
other ferrets of ours have had chocolate on occasion with no ill effects.
But it's probably an individual thing...like any food reaction in humans.
But I'm not a vet so I don't really know - - I just know what's worked for
me.  We had a ferret once who was nutso over peaches and cream. . . another
was wild over bananas. . . they all have different tastes.

Is the F.L.O. still around?  I really enjoyed reading those posts, and
Drifter has been telling Lynx and Silk about it

. . .  Otter, Drifter, Lynx, Silk &

Muggsy