From:
Kari Benson Toyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:39:10 CDT
Apartments:

I have rented in Connecticut, Mississippi, and here in Nebraska.  I
have not had any problem looking for apartments that would allow
ferrets.  I have rented both from real estate companies, and from
individuals.  And, all but one apartment I have had was "no pets
allowed", but, my guys were allowed.
        I have phoned these places and told them: "I am interested,
but I see that you have a no pet policy. I have a ferret."
        Occasionally, they respond "no dice".
        But, for the most part, I get a chance to explain that she is
box trained, and only out of the cage supervised (little white lie).
"Could I possibly come over to see the apartment?  I will bring my
sunshine so that you can see what I mean."
        The prospective landlord sees my little (1.8 lb.)  sunshine in
her travel cage with a once used litter box (shows that she does use
it, and that ferret poo is not a big or particularly stinky affair).
Sunshine climbs out and gives me a snuggle and a kiss.  Then, I will
let them pet her (see?, no smell, isn't she sweet?).  I have never had
a prospective landlord say no once they see Sunshine.
        Perhaps if you can convince the person to actually see your
little guys, they will realize that they are small, gentle, and
well-behaved.  (At least they seem well-behaved (curious) with a
stranger).  Also, they can see that they do use a box, and they don't
stink.  I think that the smell and the potential carpet damage are the
main fears of landlords.  When one realizes that the output from a 2-4
lb. ferret is much smaller than that of a 10-20 lb. cat; it is not
quite so threatening.

--
|  Kari Benson Toyer             (402) 472-6643           |
|  School of Biological Sciences                          |