From:
Cheryl Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 10:07:56 -0500
I normally just lurk around but today I have a couple of things to say
about how to discipline a ferret.  I realize that I am preaching to the
choir but sometimes I hear some of the most ridiculous things about what
people think is acceptable.  First, in my humble opinion, there is NEVER a
reason to strike a ferret(or any other animal for that matter) regardless
of what they may be doing.  Nose thumping or whatever form of "striking" is
unreasonable and cruel.  They are little between one pound and five.  Give
me a break.  Humans at a minimum weigh 100 lb..  Your hands weigh as much
as they do.  Any form of striking them will hurt them!!!!!!!!!!  If you
feel that you must strike a ferret for being a ferret you should NOT have
them.  They are mouthy creatures.  Get over it!!!  Ferrets are animals that
love to play.  If there behavior is bad it is a reflection of what they
have been through.  It is not the animals fault.  I rescue and have had
SEVERE bites from them.  It took patience and a lot of love for them to
come around.  And I do not mean a couple of weeks it can take years when
they have been abused by some other because of neglect, been struck for
being a ferret or whatever.  But they can come around.  Not everyone is
equipped to handle biters.  If you are not equipped to deal with a biter
find someone that can.  The motto in our home: 'WE DO NOT HIT FOR ANY
REASON'.  We learn to behave but if it takes years so be it.  I am not the
one that endured the suffering they have, they can take as long as they
want and I will just have to have my supply of band aids around.  It has
been my observation that they all can come around you just have to let them
do it on their own terms.  Rushing them and expecting a behavior from an
animal is lubricious.  They aren't human children that can tell you what
happened.  You just need to trust that something did and that is why they
act the way they do.  It is up to the person that has them now to gain
their trust and you can't do it but inflicting pain of any kind.  If you
are the first owner then teach them what is acceptable behavior but
thumping them on the nose will only teach them to fear hands.  Educate
yourself about positive reinforcement.  Negative behavior will breed more
Negative behavior and fear.  Put yourself in there shoes.  I mean wouldn't
you bite someone that struck you on the nose?  Considering of course that
biting is your only defense against a 100 + pound human.... They don't sit
around plotting their next bite.... Have a little common sense.... Don't
need any flames here....not interested in hearing anyone defend a strike
on a 5 lb. ferret for biting and drawing blood, been there done that and
I never once had to strike him to get him to be a lover today!!!!!

Sorry if this offends anyone, had to drop my two cents in....

Dooks to all!!!

Cheryl and the Royal Gang
Chief, Snuffy, Tabitha, Oscar, Oliver, Baby Huey, Tootling, Damian, Calvin
and Hobbs (let's us out mom , let us out)
Precious and Nubbs (running to secured location, mom is letting the furr
kidds out)
Spencer (Learning the ropes)