Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:10:34 -0700
Keep in mind that Arnold had about 700 bills to sign over the course of
a few weeks.  He was acting on bills at the rate of about 50 per day.  So
I don't think anyone should be under the impression that he gave serious
thought to SB-89 or what it does.  Almost certainly, he just glanced over
DF&G's recommendation, vetoed the bill, and then hurriedly went on to the
next bill.  If he had given even a few minutes consideration, he may have
realized that the bill only grants amnesty to SPAYED or NEUTERED ferrets;
how in the world they threaten to breed in the wild is beyond me.  He
would have realized that the reason the bill is "beurocratric" is that it
provides a much-needed mechanism to get the EIR done, with ferret owners
footing the entire bill.

I believe that Arnold is a dead-end.  What is the process for the
legislature to overturn the veto?  (They had well more than a 2/3
majority in both the senate and assembly.)  Arnold vetoed well over a
hundred bills, including ones that passed unanimously in both houses.
Will they all be automatically reconsidered, or do we need to appeal
to a legislator to start the process in motion?

Julie