From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:40:08 EDT
> QUESTIONS:
> [1] What are Waardenburg's markings?
>
> [2] What is a blaze and are they always deaf?  How do you tell if a
>     ferret is deaf and not just ignoring you?

Typically Waardenburgs markings are trademarked by a white lock (a white
stripe between the eyes and ears of a ferret breaking up other dark
markings on the head or the mask).  Commonly, they will have other white
markings on their body such as white toes (not mitts), a white spot or
white tipped tail, sometimes a bib, and irregular white spotching on the
stomack.  Geneticist Brett Middleton has suggested that it is really best
to call these ferrets not those with Waardenburgs but those with Neural
Crest disorders.  This is because so many ferrets have tons of white
splotching that would indicate KIT and/or other neural crest disorders
besides Waardenburgs.  I researched this out very well (see Sept issue of
Ferrets mag, "The Silent World of Deaf Ferrets" for further explanations)
and he is certainly correct (as if I have the education to dispell
anything lol).  If you go to my website,
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/deaf.html there are photos of two types of
ferrets with probable Waardenburg and other Neural Crest disorders.  I
must apologize..... this site is outdated.  I really do need to rewrite
it, but I'm incredibly busy.  The main concepts still stand as correct.
The training and testing are still right on the money.  The testing on
that page will take you through a process in which you can begin to
decifer if your ferret is deaf or not.  The procedures are very reliable.

Neural Crest disoders in mammals have a deafness rate that ranges from
50%-78%.  I'm not qualified to say this, but in my experience, I've
noticed that dark ferrets with just a small blaze and little to no other
white markings have the lower rate.  Ferrets with the blaze, irregular
white splotching, or those that look like blaze/panda mixes have the
higher deafness rate.  Pandas.... those ferrets with all white heads
and shoulders, but a dark body, are almost always deaf.  I say "almost"
because there have been "panda's" that reportedly hear... but we have no
idea if most of those animals were truly born a panda or if they were
born faint blazed or pigmented ferrets who lightened in later weeks.  If
you have further questions, shoot away! :D

Wolfy