From:
Kaye FitzGerald Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:55:53 +0000
Hi there,

This is a genuine enquiry so please don't think I'm being sarcastic or
anything OK?

I've been following the food debate and would like to ask:

Why do you US chaps not advise the feeding of raw meat to your ferrets?  It
would be their natural food "in the wild" and contains all of their needs if
you feed whole carcass rather than chopped up meat.I feed mine on a mixture
of ;
- tinned cat food;
- a complete ferret food we have over here called "James Wellbeloved Ferret
  Complete" which contains 36% protein from poultry meat,herring and chicken
  gravy;
- raw chicken wings or rabbit(when we catch some or our other rabbiting
  friends donate one) or occaisionally meat trimmings if I'm cooking a
  stew or something;
- raw fish(without bones) now and again;
- and for a special treat their favorite food in the entire world....bread
and milk!Yep the one that we're all told never to feed our ferrets on.They
adore it,but only get it every now and again,honest!

My 2 seem bouncing with health on this mixture,if anything Buzz's a bit too
chunky,but they do get walked every day and long ones at the weekend so I
think he's just a big boy.

So tell me what you think of our diet and why it seems to differ so much
from "yours".You can't all be too squeamish to handle raw meat and it must
be around.We try to get most of ours from a butcher or small-holder friend
who slaughters his own animals, so we know they're as additive free as
possible(that's for our benefit really but the ferrets benefit too I guess).

K.