From:
Jerry Jackowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:37:22 +0000
Eric,

For the record!  I'm a big fan of Modern Ferret magazine.  Again this has
been taken way out of context.  I'm not debating the quality of your
magazine over Ferrets USA.  This whole thing started over one article based
on what everybody was to assume (or at least I assumed) was a true-life
experience for the editor.  Not based on any verifiable facts or elaborate
research effort, period!

I'm not debating that the editor could have used a better selection of
words in his article.  I'm not debating or implying that you or any other
specific person on this list or for that matter anywhere else, has a ferret
that nips, gnaws, chomps, bites or any other verb you would like to use.
However, now that I've used those "Bad Words" in my post I will be accused
of labeling or categorizing all the ferrets everywhere.  I will not debate
the fact that some bad information published will not be used in areas
where ferrets are not legal.

I was trying to point out one simple fact.  What the editor described was
possible and that those people who took it so far out of context needed to
be brought back to reality.  If the article would've categorizing all
ferrets, then I would have had no problem with the criticizing post.  The
question is easy!  Without any long, elaborate, rationalized explanation.
Do you know or have you heard of any ferret that has ever grabbed (with its
mouth) a hand or any other part of the human anatomy, aggressively or
otherwise.  As far as rationalized explanations go for why ferrets use
their mouth for anything other than eating and vocalizing the same could be
said for most if not all domestic animals.

I've said this before.  I do not condone the publication of poorly
researched or inaccurate information.  I can fully understand your negative
attitude for a competing publication.  Especially when you are trying to
make a living from one.  However I personally enjoy reading both
publications for the same reasons I enjoy this list.  First, the opportunity
to read the different stories and view points.  Second, to gather as much
information as I can and then determine which information will assist me in
providing the best environment and care for my pets.

As you are aware, there is a lot of conflicting information on the FML.
I've even received conflicting information from two different veterinarians.
I've seen people on this list blame a veterinarian for the improper
treatment or the death of a ferret.  You would hope that what a veterinarian
says is the gospel.  I guess you expect everyone and me on this to believe
that just because it is in a publication (yours or anybody else's) it should
be without question.  WRONG!!  What it should be is reasonably correct.

I am partner in an engineering firm here in Dayton (http://www.daysys.com).
I know from first hand experience, you should never bad mouth or try to
discredit your competition.  The best way to defeat them is to provide a
better quality service or product.  I would say that Modern Ferret is well
on its way.

As far as your book goes!  I have never written or published a book (even
though these post seem like books).  But everything about it and the
advertising on your web page leads you to believe that Mary wrote it.
Not some part of it but all of it!  As I told you before it is one of my
favorite reference materials.  We keep it on the coffee table at home.

Have a great weekend
Jerry, Nita and the Ten of Hearts Gang
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/jnjack/antics.html