From:
Sandy E Schieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 18:47:45 EDT
Hi folks!

We guess that we is got some good news and some bad news.  Our Paw Paw
clomped off to see the people vet again today.  We both sat in the bedroom
window and waved bye-bye as he stashed his walking sick in the truck's gun
rack and droved off.  Then we knocked the clock radio onto the floor where
it belongs and tuned in some really neat war dancin' music.

Bye and bye we heard the truck pull back into the driveway (why do they call
the place that you parks a driveway?).  We jumped back up into the window
sill and saw Paw Paw walkin' up the sidewalk without his walkin' stick!
"Hoboy!" we thunked.  "Paw Paw's laigbone is all better now and he can start
war dancin' with Mee Maw and us agian."

That's when we seen it.  He had some kinda strange contraption strapped onto
his laig that went down inside his shoe too.  We ain't seen nothin' so
strange on the Ol' Fert since he came back from Orlando with that Goofy hat
on.  Even stranger was the fact that he was smilin' again.  We ain't seen
him do that in a long time.

"Hi guys," he beamed as he came in the door, "Look at me.  I'm walking!
Ain't this leg brace the neatest thing ever?"

Well, it sure was funny lookin' but we decided that if it made him happy it
was OK with us - providing we got to give it the ol' bite test.  That's when
the trouble started.  He plopped down on the bed and played with us for
awhile.  Then he fluffed up his pillow they way he likes it, turned on his
reading light, and commenced to reading a book.  We waited until he had
turned a few pages and decided that it was time to check this leg brace
thingy out.  One sniff of it told us that it sure did smell a lot like a
vet's office.  Memories of needles and other indignities flooded our puddin'
haids.  Rage siezed our heartbones and we was come over by a sense of urgent
need to save ourselves and our Paw Paw from that evil thing that had done
latched onto his laig.  We both bit it and did our best to shake into
repentance of its evil ways.

That's when we mighta broke some toofs.  Paw Paw started laughin' so hard
that tears was rollin' down his cheeks.  We didn't see nothin' funny about
the situation at all!  He finally quit laughin' enough to plop us both onto
his ample belly and say, "Hey guys, I know it's funny looking and smells
like a vet's office, but it helps me to walk without that blasted cane.
Just love on it real good and get that ferret smell on it - it's a good
thing."

We'll just have to see about that! Any good ferret dentists out there?

Tater and Odie

PS: (Paw Paw here) I checked their teeth - nothing broken except their
dignity.  Didn't I read somewhere that ferrets are distantly realated to
cats?  They sure do act the same sometimes.

P.P.S.  Well, I got to wear my brace home today after several sessions of
getting it fitted just right.  I just wanted to share my initial reaction
with the FML and some folks whom I clicked on randomly in my address book:

I CAN WALK AGAIN!!! JOY TO THE WORLD!!!

As you can see, I'm not very excited by the fact <GGG>.

Sorry I've been so grumpy lately.  I do believe that I'm starting to feel
better.  Thanks for all the nice letters and other neat stuff.  At the risk
of sounding like a broken record, "You folks are the greatest!"

Many much loves and thanks. God bless...

Paw Paw