From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 01:39:12 +0800
>From:    Moosky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret bottom problems
>Does anyone know much about Adrenal Disease and Insulinoma?  i go a ferret
>magazine and it had a picture of a ferret with it and it had no hair, but
>it showed a picture of a ferrets backside and the swollen vulva?  which
>sorta looks like what dominos backside looks like and its like we around
>that area.  I mean shes not losing hair or anything!?!?  does anyone know
>anything about it??

She could very well have adrenal and not loose her hair.  She could also
have uterine reminens left inside her and her body is producing the extra
hormones causing her to come into estrus (heat).  How old is she?  Where
did you get her?  How long have you had her?

Quite a few ferrets from pets stores are not completely spayed (how can
they be sure they got all of the 4 week old uterus?) and sometimes need
additional surgery (most times the breeder of the ferret will pay for that -
for example Marshall Farms).  PLEASE take her to your vet ASAP!  A ferret
that is left in estrus can die of estrogen induced anemia.  This is very
serious.  Adrenal problems cause an imbalance in hormones, producing extra
estrogen and cause the vulva to swell as well.  Again, this is pretty
serious and needs vet attention straight away.

>From:    Moosky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Domino and her abusive roomate
>... I have 2 ferrets Domino and Neo.  Neos a guy Dominos a girl.  Domino
>is a layed back non aggressive ferret and neo is a spunky little dude who
>always wants to play.  the only problem is Neo Starts attacking her and
>bitting her and she starts to cry!  and no matter how much I stop them and
>scold him he doesnt get it *like he would* I tried butting apple bit stuff
>on Dominos neck but it doesnt work... any ideas???

Assuming your little girl has a swollen vulva as you indicated in another
post, I would say his reaction is a very sexual reaction - altho he may not
know it!  If he grabs her by the back of the neck and holds on, that is
100% sexual.  Until you can get her hormones back to "normal", then you
should keep a close eye on their play or keep them seperated.

Best regards and keep us posted

Amy Flemming