From:
Sue Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:41:35 -0500
>It may be that prepayment is something of a trend in response to a sad
>trend of non-payments.  I don't know.

Yep.  I work for a vet in the front office.  It truly is amazing the # of
people that don't pay, walk out (we've had a few really sneaky ones when
we are REALLY busy - we are a walk-in office), etc.  The vets get sick of
it, and start refusing to do stuff without payment.  Now, for emergency
stuff, they usually will let people make payments, they understand those
things are unavoidable and unplanned, and the finances aren't always
there.  However, they get so used to it they can also often determine
ahead of time those emergencies that won't pay, so that helps.  I HATE to
turn people away though.  It is so sad.

>Maybe being well known as reliable helps us get the care needed when it
>is needed, but I can see where a practise which had been shorted too many

That is a big one.  If you are new to the vet its a tough call.  If you
are longer-time client who's never had a balance, I've found many vets
are cool with it.  All of the vets I have used have accepted payments on
large, unexpected bills.  My hit by car dog cost $1600, which we took 4
months to pay!  in the meantime they still did our other dogs routine
stuff, as long as we paid that at the time of service like always.

>provide labor or barter, depending on the area and the situation, to pay
>a bill.  There simply usually are ways to pay a bill, even if it's not

I did this once too!  It was neat, she told me i could pay her $75 a
week, or work for her a few days a week instead.  I chose the work,
as it was something i really wanted to do anyhow.  :)

Sorry, just had to add my opinion  :)

~S~

Susan and the Catahoula Gang
Always missing those at the bridge
     Grace It Is, Snowflake, Duke Sammy, Nikki, Oreo, Jake & Duchess
http://www.geocities.com/sue_delaney/     **last update 10/27**

Feed RAW for healthy dogs!
http://www.raw4dogs.com
SW Florida Distributor