From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:32:07 -0400
Vicky Kuruc <[log in to unmask]>  wrote on 8/29/2004, 2:01 AM:
>I have two ferrets and was wondering which is the best method to test,
>the saliva or the blood?

There are 2 companies that do commercial ADV testing in the US, United
Vaccines and Avecon Diagnostics.

United does a CEP test which is run on a blood sample.  This test has
been used for many years, and has proved to be very reliable.  The cost
of the test is relatively inexpensive, but if you have your vet draw the
blood, he will charge you for his expenses in addition to the cost of
the test.  Also, because the sample has to be sent by overnight express,
the cost of shipping can be expensive.

For cost savings, many people choose to obtain and ship the sample
themselves.  There is an excellent online photo essay on how to obtain
samples for ADV testing at:
     http://www.pooflinger.com/advtest.html

Avecon Diagnostics offers several tests.  One is the ELISA test for ADV,
and, according to the Avecon website, can be run on either blood or
saliva.  I do not recommend sending blood to Avecon.  There has been a
lot of controversy over results obtained when blood is used with the
Avecon tests.

The cost for the ELISA test is also very reasonable, and samples do not
have to be shipped overnight, so the shipping charge is less.  On the
Avecon site, they give directions for obtaining and shipping a saliva
sample.
    http://www.avecon.com/adv_collection.html

Again, with this test I do not recommend that blood be used.  When saliva
is used, the ELISA test does seem to be fairly accurate.  I personally
trust the United CEP more, but with older or health impaired ferrets,
who may become over stressed when obtaining a blood sample, the ELISA
test on saliva is a good choice.

Avecon also offers an in home test called the POCT or Quick Test.
According to the Avecon site, this test can be run on either blood or
saliva.  Like the ELISA, there has been a lot of controversy over results
given when blood is used, and so my recommendation is to only use saliva.

From everything I hear, the Quick Test does not appear to be as accurate
as the ELISA or CEP.  Whether it is the fault of the test itself, or the
person running the test, I don't know.  It is very important to read and
follow the instructions carefully when using this test.  However, I
personally do not recommend this test as an only test.  Many shelters use
it as a preliminary test on incoming ferrets, and follow up with a CEP,
and for that it is good.  There have been too many results from this test
that have been proved to be inaccurate, though, for me to really trust it.

As for whether or not you need to test both your ferrets, the answer
is yes, test both.  The fact they live together does not matter.  Many
ferrets with ADV do not constantly shed the disease, and some ferrets
appear to have a natural immunity to it.  I have ferrets that have lived
with ADV positives now for 5 years, and have remained negative.  The
only way to know if a ferret has ADV is to test it.

I hope this information is helpful, and I applaud you for deciding to
test.

--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator