From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:36:02 -0400
Nathan,
The "birdseed" stools only mean that there are pieces of undigested food
from rapid passage through the gut.  It's semi-diarrhea.  It does not mean
ECE.  See my earlier post to Kevin.  It's often related to stress - new
home, change of food/water, new companion, etc.

Janet,
Prolapsed rectum is not a reason to have a ferret put down.  It often
corrects itself.  An operation should only be necessary if it is very severe
and does not clear up on it's own.  Her's sounds very minor.  One of the
biggest causes we've seen in the shelter is ferrets who were fed wet food or
dry cat food to which was added water, on a regular basis.  A ferret
knowledgable vet should be able to help you and her.  It usually clears up
completely and with just a little ointment.

Linda, RE Adrenal Tumor test
You are right, a blood test is available that can determine adrenal tumors.
A swollen vulva in a spayed female is usually always the result of an
adrenal tumor.  Our shelter vet will take that on its own as a sign of the
adrenal tumor - no blood test necessary.  Same with hair loss at the base of
the tail spreading up the flanks.  In questionable cases, he will draw blood
and sent it off to the lab.  Results may take nearly a month though since I
understand that the lab only runs the test a certain times during the month.

Shannon, RE rough play
Ferrets do play rough.  If you're not used to it, it may seem like they're
killing one another.  Generally though there should be no violent shaking
and screaming.  Some play will have some whining and chittering, but
generally no screaming.  If you separate the two of them and place the one
seeming to be getting the worst of it a couple feet away, and it jumps back
in, it's probably just play.  If it runs the other way, it's time for a
little separation time.  Keep them supervised until you see them curled up
asleep together before you try putting them in the same cage.

Dick B.