Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:48:32 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I am having great difficulty getting pepto bismal into my ferret
Klondike, who has bad diarrhea from IBD. The vet told me it comes in
pill form (actually caplets). Has anyone ever used the caplets? If so,
how did you get the correct dosage? Did you dilute it? The vet told me
I could give him up to 1 ml twice a day (of the liquid). We started out
giving 0.5 twice a day which helped at first but no longer does. Now
I'm trying to give it to him 3 times a day using from 0.5-0.7 ml. I'm
not sure how I could possibly divide a caplet into 15 (one human dose
of liquid is 15ml). Any info on how to do this would be helpful.

We are also going to try the Chloramphenical. Has anyone had any
experience with this antibiotic? Did it help? Any side effects?
Difficult to administer, i.e., bad taste?

We've already tried just about everything else. He's already on pred
(now 0.6ml); and I've tried amox & flagyl, immodium, slippery elm,
pumpkin, no chicken, etc.

The sad part is that he was doing so well on just 0.2ml pred for the
IBD, until his lifelong friend, Minky, died in Sept. That's when it
gradually started to change, with loose poop in AM that gradually got
better during the day; then it became looser and looser until it
progressed to diarrhea. I also recently found out he has insulinoma
in addition to adrenal disease & IBD.

Please email me if you have any experience with either of the above
drugs.

Thanks & good luck with all of your furkids. They are so precious to
all of us.

Shron