From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:14:31 -0400
>what precautions are you as vets taking to prevent the spread of ADV in
>the office?

We disinfect the exam rooms in between every appointment.  Have been for
years, so the advent of ADV really didn't change anything in our procedure.

>i assume y'all take real precautions in the exam rooms to disinfect well
>after treating an ADV+ ferret...

Oh, yes.  As with any other contagious disease, if we *know* we're dealing
with it, we will disinfect several times before using the room again.  I've
also been known to reschedule appointments to minimize potential exposure.

>but... like if someone comes in with a 'known' ADV+ ferret...are they
>separated into a special room to wait?..or left in the main waiting room
>with everyone else...

Right into a room, as soon as possible, and we deal with everything in that
room.

>since the means of spreading ADV is such an unknown...what IS being done
>in your offices to protect ferrets from the spread of ADV at the vet?

All of the above, plus strongly urging clients to minimize contact between
their ferrets and anyone else's, in addition to being careful about their
own contact with other people's ferrets.  The local (to my area) shelter
holds regular testing clinics, and many of the ferret owners in the area
have tested.  That helps too.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.