From:
Susan Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:04:25 -0700
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me cos I have a real problem.  Bailey, my 4 year
old neutered male has had a complete behavioural turnaround.  He used to
bite occasionally, rarely me but mostly male friends and I put this down
to him being a rescue ferret.

However, in the last two days, he has not stopped biting.  He bites me,
not savagely but has occasionally locked his jaws and though I tell him
off firmly, bite him back (occasionally), scruff him and always, always
hold him gently and calm him down afterwards, he will not stop.
Literally.  For the entire time he's out, which hasn't been much lately
as I'm running out of skin, he walks over to me, sniffs and bites again
and again.  He's even tried to bite the bed and hisses almost constantly.

He's showed no aggression to the other two ferts he lives with.  Does
anyone have any idea why a ferret would change his behaviour so suddenly
over the course of two days?  He has turned into a fear-biter and I am
treating him as such (thank you Debi Christie for your advice many years
ago!) but I am scared that he might be seriously ill.

He's showing no other symptoms, he lost some fur on his tail a while back
but it has since grown back as my vet said it would.  If anyone can help
shed any light on this, I would be very grateful.

Please can you email me direct on this as I am not always able to access
the net.

Many thanks,
Susan, Bailey, Fane and Eric