From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:46:45 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?GID=1423922
&messageid=6243&viewType=detailed&shownum=10&start=11

Message #11 of 12: Date Posted: 12 Oct 2003 02:55:02
by Bruce Williams, DVM

>Our Vet diagnosed their condition as:
> 1. Virus of the immune system
> 2. Symptoms of Corona virus - ECE
> 3. Clostridia bacteria
> 4. He took a bacteria culture which came back today and showed
>    indications of a Proteus Mirabilis bacteria
> 5. He believes Savannah to be the carrier of the virus

I would take issue on the diagnosis of Clostridium if the examination of
a fecal sample was how it was made - there are many robust bacilli that
look like Clostridia in ferret feces and this is not the way to diagnose
this rare condition.  Also, Proteus mirabilis is not significant in a
fecal culture.

I also don't see evidence for a "virus of the immune system".  The
outbreak is very consistent with ECE, though.

>He prescribed the following:
> 1. During their stay, he administered sub-cu fluids to the 3
> 2. Metronidozale and Amoxicillin for all 4 (twice daily for 7 days)
> 3. Recommended Pepto for the 3 with diarrhea (three times a day)
> 4. Scrub all litter boxes and food dishes
> 5. Keep Savannah separated for the next 3 months.
> 6. Do not let the others share Savanna's litter boxes or food dishes
> 7. Always thoroughly wash hands after handling.

Pepto is a poor choice for diarrhea.  In cases of ECE, we do much better
by adjusting the diet to an easily digestible food and get prepared for
3-4 weeks (or longer) of bad stools.  I see no reason to be giving Flagyl
in this case.

There is no need to quarantine Savannah - ECE is such an contagious
virus, the other animals have already been exposed.  In fact, you are
a possible source of exposure to other naive ferrets, so you have to
watch your interaction with any other ferrets.

> 1. By keeping Savannah are we increasing the risk to the other three?

No, they are already exposed.

> 2. Since all are now exposed, should Savannah be strictly quarantined
>    in a closed off room or is a separate cage sufficient?

If everyone is showing signs, there is no reason to separate her at all.

>3. Assuming a strict quarantine is not necessary --
>Once the three are well enough to get out-and-about, should they be
>allowed to play in the same room that Savannah has played in?

Sure - they're already infected.

> 4. Once we are past this illness (God willing), is it foolish to
>    attempt introducing a kit to our seniors?

The biggest risk with a pet store kit these days is ECE - you already
have the infection in the house.

> 5. The Metronidozale REALLY stresses them out (gagging, etc.).
>    Could it be doing more harm than good?

In the case of ECE, I think yes, you probably should discontinue it.  The
older ferrets are at risk for the development of ulcers from the stress,
which would significantly worsen their prospects for a quick recovery.

> 6. We did have a weeklong trip planned for next week (the ferrets
>    always travel with us).  That has now been rescheduled for the week
>    of 10/20.  Is it unrealistic to think that they may be well enough
>    to travel (by car) by then?

I think that a trip is probably a bit precipitous - too much stress
involved.

> 7. Is there anything we are missing that might help to ensure the
>    recovery of our babies?

What exactly are you feeding - are you continuing to try to feed kibble -
in ECE cases we generally go baby food only, and slowly reintroduce
kibble.  Pedialyte is generally not necessary by now, if they are eating
the baby food well.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

Message #12 of 12: Date Posted: 12 Oct 2003 03:22:23
by Bruce Williams, DVM

>I have seen this a lot.  It appears that the new addition is a carrier
>of a mutated form of the virus and the older ones had never been exposed
>so they got sick and she may never be sick.  An instance that she might
>break is if she is exposed to a new unrelated ferret that is carrying a
>form that she has not had.

Actually, coronaviruses aren't know for their predilection to mutate,
such as we see with influenza viruses (of a different family, the
Pramyxoviridae).  There are many variables that determine whether a
particular animal will become clinically ill, subclinically infected,
or fight off infection.  Age, previous infection, maternal antibody,
and concurrent disease are some of them.

It is well known that young animals are rarely clinically infected with
the coronavirus that causes ECE, but can be carriers for up to 6-8
months.  Coronaviruses appear to infect more readily in animals with a
higher gastric pH, and the prevalence of H.  mustelae infection in older
ferrets supports the higher frequency of clinical infection in this
demographic.  Additionally, many kits have maternal antibody, as quite
a few breeders have endemic ongoing infections (facilities in which
clinical animals become extremely rare over time.) So it is of no
surprise that the young animal is perfectly fine while the three older
ferrets are experiencing ECE firsthand.

Currently, there appear to be a number of ongoing ECE outbreaks, far more
than we have seen in recent years.  It is likely that this may become the
status quo - seeing hotbeds of infection every couple of years as
immunity in the animals of a particular area begins to wane.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM