Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:59:50 -0500
Yesterday, SANDI said:
>I also have on back & front windshields, a index card with phone #'s
>of someone to come & get ferrets if in an accident. First listed are
>my local vets. If I'm going to say, Fl then I put my Fl vets name & #
>on it. And people to contact to take in said ferrets if needed. I also
>have my personal info there, as in to call my son. And I've already
>called whomever I'm visiting & let them know I've departed & what time
>I should arrive. If I have a delay, I call them.
>
>This will help any EMS's or police faster than going thru your wallet.
>And I've done this for years.

MY RESPONSE:
This is a wonderful idea. Like I said, I was prepared for almost
anything - but not a rollover, which is what I got. At the time, I
thought I had done it all. BUT, I learned a lot. If you look at the
pictures of my accident, you will see that the only window left on
the car was the front windshield and it was not whole. It was held in
only around the top edges and there was no way to read anything on the
windshields. So, even though it is an excellent idea, it STILL may not
work!

Then, MARILYN said:
>Get a vehicle that you can safely compete with the big boys with.
>Does it burn gas, yes, but thanks to the bigger vehicle, I am here
>to buy it. <snip>
>Those small cars are very economical to run. BUT in a fight with a
>truck, you are done. <snip>
>
>Years ago, cars were built with a frame that was reinforced should you
>hit something. Today, half of your car is plastic. <snip> when you get
>in trouble, you do not have anything around you to protect you.
>
><snip> If we all put up a fight, they will fix the problem, no plastic
>parts, sturdy frames, better quality vehicles.

MY RESPONSE:
Yes, Marilyn, I agree. I know of too many people in smaller cars who
have had bad accidents. Even in the mid-size cars, front ends can
crumble. One of the reasons I drive the Explorer is the frame. I always
ask about steel frames. I have learned a lot about the cars, too. I
will not say anything negative about someone who has a small car, but
I do ask that you do everything possible to assure that you are doing
the best you can for the innocent passengers in the back.

For those of you who may say, is there going to be a reason for
everything to not work? Uh, well, yeah, usually. It is the things
we don't plan for that usually create problems. My point is that no
matter how well we plan, something will be overlooked. Sharing all this
information has been very good, I think. I learned a lot from others
who have had emergency plans in place or had accidents. I hope that
all of us are able to be better prepared. But, NOBODY is perfect and
accidents happen. If you have done the best you can, that is all you
can do. You have heard me say on many occasions that Sammy, my first
ferret, survived by the grace of God. Personally, I think that the best
thing I can do is trust their care to God. So, that's what I do before
each trip - give 'em to God.

Finally, MARILYN shared:
>I'll put my carriers in the back seat, strapped in; you call the
>Division of Motor Vehicle Safety in your state and complain about
>the shoddy workmanship on cars. Your bumper should be strong enough
>to at least absorb a 5-mile an hour hit. Most are not. Check it out.
>You will be surprised.

MY RESPONSE:
Another great idea! Thank you, Marilyn, for putting them in the back.
I will call the DMV and lodge my official complaint. And, I encourage
others to do the same. Go to http://www.(YOURSTATEABBREVIATION).gov
and look for the DMV.

Happy Trails!

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we