From:
Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 05:42:16 -0700
Deanna:

I think this is a GREAT IDEA!!!

>Keeping in mind that these children are first graders and are unable
>to read yet what do you think would be best?  I would like to entertain them
>somehow and anything I give them will be taken home to mom and dad to read.
>Should I do nothing at all and just bring in my fuzzy?

If I were you I would put together a little something for the children to
"have".  If possible lots of pics (there's millions out there!!)..My
daughter, who started 2nd grade this year, (I going back to LAST year,)
would have gotten a big kick out of someone bringing their pet in.  As a
matter of fact, her g.pigs used to go in with her to pre-school.  Even tho
the children cannot read, to receive a pamphlet with photos in it, for some
is like a prized possesion!  And 10 out of 1 they will take it home, arms
flailing with their "little prize" saying "LOOK Mom/Dad..this is what
happened in school today, CAN I HAVE ONE?" My little Manna grew up with
animals.  Ferrets are as as well known in this house as dogs/cats in others.
And even with five, the child is struck with constant and prevailing
ferretmath, (and also g.pig math, dog math, bird math, and any other animal
math that could come around!  She, definitely, without a doubt, would enjoy
what your planning immensely, and to have something to remember it by would
only enhance the opportunity more!  (Not to mention your going to educate
alot of parents this way too!) Doesn't have to be anything elaborate.  Big
type is best, some children like to trace.  Good luck!  And be prepared for
"OH CAN I HOLD IT"?????

Karen and her five fuzzie carpet monsters!