From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:47:10 -0400
Kat
I sheltered a 6 year old dark eyed white for a short time.  From Felipe's
coloring, I knew to look for signs of deafness, but it took me a couple
days to realize he was also blind.  I would open the cage door to let him
out, and even though the opening of the door would wake him, he wouldn't
come out until I put my hand in and touched him.  There was no sign of
cataracts, so I don't know what caused the blindness, or how long he had
been blind.  But Felipe got around quite well in spite of the multiple
handicaps.

Just do the normal things you would do for a blind and for a deaf ferret.
A one story cage is best to avoid falling off ramps and balconies.  Don't
move furniture around or rearrange his cage.  Once he learns where
everything is, he will navigate quite well.  If he is nervous or jumpy,
let him catch your scent by blowing gently on him or waving your hand near
his face before touching him.  The sense of touch will be very important to
him.  Hold him against your chest and hum so he feels the vibration.

You are more likely to have problems because of age.  Felipe had insulinoma,
and with the stress of leaving his owner of 6 years, he only survived a few
weeks.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin, OH

Support the Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter by visiting