From:
Cheryl Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 09:49:07 -0400
I visited a pet store in Ocala, Florida yesterday.  They had one really
sweet female ferret in a nice cage with towels, toys and food.  She came up
to me and rubbed her head on my finger, she's so pretty and affectionate.  I
had to hold her, one of the employee's got her out for me.  Her tummy was
all swollen, and she had no hair at the base of her tail, she stayed in my
arms and didn't figget.  I asked the employee how old she was, and he
replied " about 6 months old".  I asked him if he had told their Vet about
the patch of missing hair and the swollen tummey.

Price was $124.99.

I offered these people $50.00 in the hopes that they would take it.  I told
them that I was no expert, but this little gal seemed to need some Doctoring.
You get no guarantee other than 24 hour.....could someone tell me if this
little girl can get sick at age 6 months, or if its a lie, and she is indeed
older.  Does hair loss at the base of the tail mean Adrenal disease?

Please don't think me cheap for offering the $50.00 but I'm a single parent,
and I know that quality Vet care doesn't come cheap.  I prepared to take on
this little life, but I know nothing of what to expect.  I read the list
daily, and capture all the medical info I can from it, but that still
doesn't prepare you mentally for the anguise your little sick friends go
through.

I would really like it if anyone in the Ocala area could go to the Store
(especially if you have a rescue) and see if you can't force the store to
get her the medical attention she needs.  I would donate all I could to your
Shelter.  I know that this goes on all the time, and she really is being fed
and watered.

Sincerely

Cheryl

Please don't flame me....I know that there are many crisis going on!  But
I'm a novice ferret owner.