From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 17:23:38 -0400
On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Jeff Johnston explained some of the vaccination
reactions. I would like to seek an opinion on a couple of things related to
vaccination reactions.

1.  I have a 3 year old who had a reaction to Imrab approximately months ago
that required 24 hours in recovery at the vet's.  This reaction came on
quick and fits the explanation given by Jeff and is probably best classified
as a moderate allergic reaction (although as the owner I felt it was pretty
severe).  Anyway, a few weeks ago she was vaccinated with Fervac-D.  She was
extremely nervous (shaking) all the way over and during examination but
showed no reaction to the actual vaccination.  (We premedicated with
Benydryl.) However, about 2 days later she vomited once and developed
diahrrea.  She stopped eating over the next 24 hours and then she vomited
again.  This time she vomitted several times over a period of about 45
minutes and then went into a state where she seemed to stop breathing once
for almost a minute and was curled into a tight ball.  (I was on the phone
with the vet already by this time.) She was admitted as an emergency patient
originally suspecting a blockage.  No blockage was found.  She was in for 48
hours during which she had to be forcibly fed and hydrated.  She is
presently recovering well and on amoxycillin.  The vet is doesn't feel she
has enough evidence one way or another whether this is just an unrelated
illness or whether its vaccination related.  (The ferret is not prone to
illness and had been without any infection for the rpevious 12 months.)

What are the chances that its vaccination related?

2.  Now the real tricky one.  She's due for her rabies shot as soon as she
recovers enough.  I'm told by my vet that often there is a lesser reaction
the second time round than there was the first time she reacted.  This will
be her third Imrab.  The first gave no reaction and the second gave the one
described above.  Obviously there are no guarantees in this business but do
you know if there is indeed a tendancy for reactions to be less the second
time?