From:
Lorraine Tremblay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:24:34 -0500
Hi FML & Regina,

I am glad to find out that Regina is writing a FAQ on problem biters.  Thank
you writing it: I think that, along with not using the litter box 100% of the
time, biting plays a big role in why people give up ferrets for adoption.

I do not have success stories to share with you.  I think time did it and
avoidance.  They used to turn their heads as soon as we picked them up to
bite us.  We can now pet them forever without being biten.  I also reduced
temptation: I stopped wearing skirts, shorts & sandals when we got "The
Monsters" i.e. Sanka & Mukluk.  I started to walk barefoot again recently.
Sanka leaves my toes alone but not Mukluk.  We tried the technique of
scruffing, hissing and biting the ferret back on the scruff but it has not
worked with Mukluk.

Believe or not, I was delighted when Presto, the Monsters' sister, bit me on
the nose after she as been with us for over a year.  At the time I thought
that she finally trusted me enough to let me know that I was holding her too
long & that it meant that she bonded with us at last.  She also started to
seek us to play at about the same time.

Presto used to be a very tense and easily afraid ferret but she is not a
biter.  Last time she bite me is when she panicked during a routine visit to
the vet.  Odly enough, "The Monsters" did not try to bite me or the vet.
Dr. Lambourne joked that she prefers that it when my biters are paralysed
with fear.