From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:24:12 -0800
>From:    K HUTCHINSON <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
>Yeah, sounds good to me so come on Valley people, speak up.  Whenever I
>take out our Chloe I run into a lot of people who "used to have a ferret
>but..." Haven't met one yet who has one now.

Bill's father would be one of those.  But he might get one or two again
soon.  Gee, wonder from where?  <g>

Actually there are several ferret breeders in the valley - all at this
northern end that I know about.  We're the only shelter we know about and
fortuantely have had very few calls to take in valley ferrets.  Okay, none
actually.  We think thats good.  Poor Faith gets a lot of referrals from us
though (both turn ins and adoptions) since we here mostly from folks that
would have to drive past her on the way here.

>Oh and Zen, have you heard of any cases of ECE around here and would that
>be a concern if we form a club?  Yeah, I'm jumping the gun but better
>safe than sorry...

ECE has pretty much spread throughout Virginia years ago.  Its probably not
a big worry.  We had it years ago in three out of about 16 ferrets we had
then.  They came in with it and no other ferret that has been here (well
starting with the old house in Dale City) or been in contact with our
ferrets has ever gotten ill.  Cool fresh air help keep ferrets healthy we
think, and that was part of it as they came in in the winter but we didn't
make it all warm and stilfling with the ferrets.  They had a tiny casement
window open in their room all winter.  Healthy luxurious coated ferrets.

Had one other private reply about interest in a local club.  A few more
and we can start soemthing I think.

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets