From:
Georgette Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:36:35 -0500
Hi all!

Well, Geisha and I went to the vet today to have some bloodwork done.  She
needs to have her teeth cleaned and to have a canine removed because it's
rotting.  Geisha was abandonned when she was about six months old and when
we found her, all of her canine teeth were broken.  We suspect abusive,
*&$%@#@#%^&* owners.  She is now five and a half years old and we wanted
to be sure everything was A-okay before having her put under anesthetic.

So, I just got off the phone with the vet about her blood tests.  The tests
came back okay - her urea (sp?) was abit high which could be because she
ate shortly before they took the blood samples.  Geisha eating??  Go
figure!  She's Rubenesque, shall we say!  Her kreatones were normal, so
that was good.  Same with her liver values - one was off but the rest were
fine.  Unfortunately, that could be a sign of adrenal and she has started
to thin out fur-wise in the back.  This has only become really evident in
the last month or so.  Sigh!  The tooth is definitely bothering her when
she eats so it has to go but I'm nervous about more invasive surgery at her
age.  Any thoughts anyone???  I'm abit of a wreck - she hasn't had any vet
stuff done to her besides shots since she was about 8months old when we had
her spayed!!  Now I have to wait until at least noon hour tomorrow to find
out how she is!!!  Egad!  I don't know if I can handle the wait!!

She's a tough little chick - ask Wolfie & Footsie (and probably a few
others that I'm forgetting to mention - tee, hee!) - but I can't help but
worry.  She is getting older and slowing down somewhat ... and it hasn't
been that long since we lost Nik and Buster.  Sigh!

I was hoping to hear from some other people who have had adrenal surgery
done on their 5+ year old ferrets and their opinions/observations/results.
I do use Timmy's Tonic for my guys, so I do know there are alternatives.  I
just need to get a better idea of what to do for her.  I want her to be
happy for as long as possible so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Guess I'm just needing to babble and get some reassurance - thanks gang for
listening and understanding.  Take care and LOTS of hugs to all!!  oxo

George, Jasper and the Crew

Georgette Peters                          Nothing is ferret-proof to a
Steacie Science Library                   sufficiently talented ferret.
York University
4700 Keele Street                                     *****
North York, Ontario                                 *********
M3J 1P3                                               *****
(416)736-5084
                                             Dook, dook, bjork, bjork!
e-mail - [log in to unmask]                        - Swedish Ferret