Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:44:10 -0700
If you wonder "where the $$ go".  Make a plan, call a local shelter and
GO.  You can see where the $$ go to by being there to help.  Whether it
be by scooping poop, changing bedding, clipping nails, cleaning ears,
hand feeding, or loving on a sick fert.  Or mowing the lawn, folding
laundry, human grocery shopping or doing general maintenance around the
house and shelter.  You can see where the time and $$ have gone, and you
can help with a skill that you may possess that someone else doesn't.

What you will, probably, see is a single person who holds most if not all
of the responsibility for the care and safety of all the ferrets there
daily, with very little or very sporadic help.  This single person may
also work at a regular job during the day and rushes home from work to
take care of those in the shelter.  Some, I'm sure, dash home during the
work day to medicate a sick one and hand feed those that need.  Some even
take a sick or needing ferret to work with them, so the fuzz is able to
receive constant care.

You will, probably, see a person whose heart is Filled with love and
concern for all the ferrets in there care.  This shelter person WILL be
exhausted!  He/she may have been up every 2-3 hours during the night to
feed a sickie.  The grass may be a tad higher than you allow yours to
grown or there may be laundry waiting to be washed/folded/put away.  SO
WHAT!  I would rather see the Shelter person taking care of the ferrets
than mowing the lawn!

Please rather than sitting here typing or reading about folks who
question what a Shelter does or does not do.  GO SEE FOR YOURSELF.  A big
shelter or a small shelter, it doesn't matter.  You can bring something
special to that Shelter, YOURSELF.  Take one day a week or 2 days a month
and lend a hand.  What you will be doing is up to the Shelter Mom or Dad,
but be assured that they will only ask you to do the things that they do
all the time.  Give the Shelter Parents a break, let them deal with what
they need to do FOR THE FERRETS.

(I know that there are bad shelters out there, but check it out.  Don't
take a poster's word-go see for yourself.  What may be 'bad' may be just
a bad opinion)

[BIG, could you please explain some of the reasons why folks chose to
post as ANON?  I am under the impression that a good reason for an ANON
is that where the poster resides, ferrets may not be legal.  So the ANON
is for the protection of the Ferrets in their care.  Am I wrong?  I know
that this is just ONE of the reasons to post ANON]

[Moderator's note: Well, there are many other reasons.  People who might
be linked to an embarrassing or incriminating situation often choose to
post anonymously -- some recent posts discussing drug use are a good
example.  Sometimes people with "celebrity" status post anonymously.
Many of the anonymous posts recently were from people who volunteer in
shelters and don't want the shelter to know who they are.

Of course, I also can't help but notice that many of the recent anon
posts are from people preaching about how we all need to join forces and
work together.  Somehow, an anonymous post would not seem to facilitate
that.  Some subscribers are kinda amusing.  BIG]

=====
Lynn and the Ferrets of the Love Zoo
Irish, Darlin Daisy Do, Nosferreteau, Miss Maisie, Sugimon, Gracie,
Emily, Dizzy-Isabella, Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo with The Duke visiting