From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:50:03 EDT
Re: paralyzed ferret water therapy
If information on using water therapy isn't available or in short supply in
regards to ferrets, you may wish to see how water therapy is used for humans
or other mammals.  While all animals are different, some of the core ideas
are going to be similar.

Please let us know what information you can find out and how you make out
with your ferret.  There has been enough mention of paralyzed ferrets here
in the past that it would be good information to share.  Thanks!

Re: Ferret Mags
While I saw the snail-mail address for Modern Ferret posted, you should
know they have a website too.  The URL is: http://www.modernferret.com/

Re: Beastmaster
Damn!  Just the weekend I don't watch MonsterVision they feature ferts. ;)
It's very cool for ferrets to get some air time - especially air time where
they are being cute and loving and someone can talk about them postively!

Re: Pet Store Support
>We're not about to get pet stores to stop selling pets.  We can, however,
>educate them, persuade them to provide better care while the ferrets are in
>their charge, and we can provide them with good information so that they can
>educate the buyer.  The other option?  Let the pet stores keep the kits on

I believe that wanting someone or something (ie.  a pet) to love and care
about - especially something that will return affection is quite a natural
human reaction.  Who doesn't want to love or be loved?

Given this, I can't see the pet business ever disappearing.  So rather then
demonizing the entire industry, perhaps more should follow Dick Bossart's
approach of education and positive change with their local petstores.  I
imagine it will have more of an effect then a handful of people boycotting
the store.

Of course if a particular petstore is truly awful to their animals, there
are agencies that will deal with these people - as a local petstore owner
here found out a few months ago.

Re: FerVac Reaction - need your input
>If your ferret has ever had a reaction to FerVac, I'm interested in your
>story.  The more data I can get, the more accurate I can be with my
>information.
>Any reaction story is welcome.

You do know that polling sources such as the FML will get you a relatively
small and possibly skewed pool of respondants, don't you?  Your survey may
not yield very accurate results.  (See some of the past survey discussions
for more info on statistics problems.  The archives will surely help here.)
I only point this out so you can take this into consideration when analyzing
the data you receive.

Just a suggestion...if you are going to write a story, why not make it
about vaccine reactions in general instead of just FerVac?  So many people
are amazed to hear of reactions to vaccines that surely communicating the
dangers, what to do in reactions, and why we should still vaccinate to as
many people as possible would surely be a worthwhile effort.

Re: YK2
Being a computer support person myself, I agree with what BIG said about
the Y2K stuff a few days ago with one exception - Bill implied that new
computers were compliant.  New hardware and software being sold today may or
may not be compliant.  Just because it is new doesn't mean it is compliant.
(There are some brain-dead manufacturers out there!) Check out compliance
as part of your investigation prior to major purchases.

As a side note, I understand if one sets their computer's date to 1970 right
now, that you'll weather the YK2 just fine since 1972 and 2000 use the same
calendar.  (I haven't checked it out so I won't claim that it is true!) The
idea of re-living the 70's sounds pretty funny to me.  Groovy, Man!  ;)

-kim, squirt (we don't need no stink'n computers!),
 pippi (we do need raisins!), atlas (hey, Dexter! What's this button for?),
 and jinx (nip-da-nip!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.