From:
Lori Petta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:24:25 -0400
All I can say is, WOW.  I am all for being able to voice one's own
opinion.  To each his own.  This post got my blood boiling and I'm sure
it did to a lot of people on this list.

>but don't you think it's going just a little far to talk about the
>rainbow bridge and talk as if they were your children?

Um, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Where is your compassion?  I hate to read the
Rainbow Bridge posts because they upset me, so you know what I do?  I
SKIP OVER THEM!  Can you not see that people believe in Rainbow Bridge so
they can better cope with the loss of their beloved animals.  The belief
in Rainbow Bridge helps them to deal with it.

>I have a child and I have pets that are like a part of the family, but
>it is still not the same thing as an actual child.

Did you ever stop and think, or maybe step outside of yourself for just
a second, and realize that there are people out there who view their
animals as children.  Have you put yourself in someone else's shoes?
Some women can not conceive and so instead of children they have pets and
they view these pets as children.  I do not have children and so I see me
pets as children and I treat them as my CHILDREN.  In my opinion pets
should be treated as children because we are their caretakers.  They
should be cherished as children.  Do they not have that right?  Are we
so much better than them?  Aside from intelligence and genes I honestly
don't see a difference between children and pets.

>I think some people are a little fanatical on this board if you don't
>mind me saying so.

Is that so wrong?  They are not hurting you.

>I just wish people would stick to the purpose of this forum and not take
>up so much space with all their strange beliefs about the rainbow bridge
>and so forth.

This was copied from the Usage Guidelines for this list.  Maybe you
should review them.  "All aspects of ferrets are discussed, such as
advocacy, health issues, funny stories, training, ferret shows and so on.
Other related animals, such as the Black-Footed Ferret, otters, and such
are occasionally mentioned as well."

Rainbow Bridge is strange?  Is believing in Heaven strange?

>I also got very offended when several of you posted things about feeding
>your ferrets live mice and rats and then making a joke of it ...
>Yet many uncaring people on this forum look at them as only ferret food
>and that very much annoys me

Um, I think it's called the food chain.

>Do you think my daughter's pet rat that recently passed away will join
>your ferrets in the rainbow bridge and end up as food for them??  Just
>curious.

LOL!!!  That's cute.

>I hope you'll feel free to [pick] and choose to get what feel you need
>from the FML.  BIG]

Amen.

I have to apologize for my sarcasm but I am livid about this post.  Do
you have that much time on your hands to complain about such trivial
things?  I personally have much better things to do with my time, like
loving my pets as children.

Lori, Podo and Kodo